Careers at Breakthrough Miami
At Breakthrough Miami, we believe that for our community, our society, and our culture to reach its ultimate potential, it is imperative that each ambitious student is provided access to the optimum tools, networks, and opportunity to reach their potential. As a dynamic team of professionals with a passion for educational equity, we are dedicated to helping motivated students from under-resourced communities fulfill their promise as the architects of our future. We serve more than 1,300 Scholars in 5th through 12th grades, and 130 Teaching Fellows, across six sites utilizing an evidence-based “students-teaching-students” model.
START DATE: October 1, 2019 – May 31, 2020
SUMMARY: Breakthrough Miami provides an academic enrichment program that uses a students-teaching-students model to ensure motivated, under-resourced middle school students have access to excellent high school opportunities, graduate from high school on time, and attend college. The program serves 1,300 5th through 12th graders. Interns will provide essential program support, such as mentoring, academic support, coaching, program planning and implementation, and other activities to contribute to the success of Breakthrough Miami Scholars. Interns will receive training in a variety of areas to provide them with a rewarding and progressive professional development.
- Answer phone inquiries, direct calls, and provide basic program information to callers
- Organize documents and maintain files; photocopy and scan, etc.
- Input information into student database
- Track volunteer service hours
- Introduce productive summer opportunities to Breakthrough Scholars and monitor their engagement and completion
- Cultivate positive relationships with Scholars and families
- Assist Scholars through the middle and high school application process, including researching schools, completing applications, writing essays, and preparing for interviews
- Participate actively in all training and professional development
- Communicate with school partners and coordinate recruitment schedule
- Assist with presentations, workshops and community meetings
- Assist with creation of reports
- Participate in outreach workshops at various Miami-Dade Public Schools
- Research new partnership opportunities for recruitment and school year programming purposes
- Support Site Directors on projects, as needed
- U.S. citizen, or lawful permanent resident of the United States
- High school degree or equivalent
- Enrolled in an accredited university/college program
- 18 years of age or older
- Reliable transportation required
- Energetic and eager to tackle new projects and ideas
- Must agree to submit to a National Criminal History Check inclusive of a finger-printing based Level 2 FBI Background Screening, state of residency check if other than Florida, and a Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Website Check, and be clear of any charges in order to serve in the internship program. Enrollment and eligibility of intern is subject to successful clearance of the above noted screens.
Time Period: October 1, 2019 – May 31, 2020
Compensation: Stipend – $200 per week
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to communicate well with people of all cultural and educational backgrounds
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Organized with good time management skills
- Ability to manage several concurrent issues and solve problems effectively
- Ability to work cooperatively on a team and be an active team member
- Respond well to constructive criticism and input on how to improve performance
- Effective academic support and mentoring skills
- Commitment to community service and working with youth
- A belief in the value of diversity, equity, and education excellence
- Proficient in Spanish or Creole a plus
How to apply
Please e-mail a copy of your cover letter and resume to your site preference.
Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart Shakeh Grady, Senior Site Director email@example.com
College Bound, University of Miami Rosy Corrales, Assistant Director of College Access firstname.lastname@example.org
Gulliver Schools Frederick Porter, Senior Site Director email@example.com
Miami Country Day School Kenneth Garrett, Associate Site Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Palmer Trinity School Jonah Stevens, Senior Site Director email@example.com
Ransom Everglades School Webber Charles, Director of Student Achievement & Senior Site Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Breakthrough Miami operates in a rapidly changing education and community environment. This job description is a summary, not a contract. The duties and responsibilities of this role may change due to organizational needs. Dependable and regular attendance, evening and weekend work are required to fulfill the expectations of the role.
Summer Site Staff
Breakthrough Miami Overview
Breakthrough Miami (BTM) is an eight-year, tuition-free academic enrichment program that provides motivated middle-school students from underserved communities with the tools they need to achieve their most ambitious goals in life. Our students-teaching-students internship engages outstanding older students as teachers, mentors and role models, so that our Scholars enter and thrive in college-prep high schools and enroll in college. This award-winning program serves 1,300 talented students. More than 95 percent of our students attend public schools in Miami-Dade County, while participating in our enrichment activities on five independent schools and one university site — Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart, Gulliver School, Miami Country Day School, Palmer Trinity School, Ransom Everglades School, and the University of Miami.
Our Summer Site Staff Applications are currently closed and will reopen in January of 2020.
Teaching Fellow Opportunities
Our Teaching Fellow applications are now open. Click here for further information.here.
Get ready to make an impact on the future.
Volunteers are vital to the success of our program. Apply to become a volunteer by clicking on your preferred site below and completing the application. Following your application submission, a member of our team will contact you with next steps. Please be advised, if you are 18 and over, you will be required to complete a background check. In addition, all volunteers must complete orientation and training before starting.
Thank you for your interest in serving with Breakthrough Miami! It takes a village!