Careers at Breakthrough Miami
At Breakthrough Miami, we believe that for our community, our society, and our culture to reach its ultimate potential, it is imperative that each ambitious student is provided access to the optimum tools, networks, and opportunity to reach their potential. As a dynamic team of professionals with a passion for educational equity, we are dedicated to helping motivated students from under-resourced communities fulfill their promise as the architects of our future. We serve more than 1,300 Scholars in 5th through 12th grades, and 130 Teaching Fellows, across six sites utilizing an evidence-based “students-teaching-students” model.
For Immediate Hire - Assistant Site Director at Carrollton
The Assistant Site Director (ASD) is responsible for the efficient and effective delivery of programs and services that most directly affect Breakthrough Miami Scholars and families. An ASD oversees campus or site logistics, unpaid student volunteers, some stipended positions, such as Teaching Fellows. As an ambassador of the program, the ASD builds supportive relationships with students, parents, schools, the community and other stakeholders to ensure the academic and socio-enrichment success of all Breakthrough Scholars.
SEE FULL JOB DESCRIPTION BELOW:
Assistant Site Director
Assistant Site Director
REPORTS TO: Assistant Site Director
START DATE: Immediate POSITION
SUMMARY: The Assistant Site Director (ASD) is responsible for the efficient and effective delivery of programs and services that most directly affect Breakthrough Miami Scholars and families. An ASD oversees campus or site logistics, unpaid student volunteers, some stipended positions, such as Teaching Fellows. As an ambassador of the program, the ASD builds supportive relationships with students, parents, schools, the community and other stakeholders to ensure the academic and socio-enrichment success of all Breakthrough Scholars.
- Work collaboratively with Program Leadership to develop engaging and challenging curriculum models, and effectively implement these models during the school-year and summer program.
- Provide current Breakthrough students with ongoing educational counseling and proactive academic outreach and intervention to ensure site achievement of all Breakthrough Miami objectives.
- Manage programs and procedures for recruitment, admissions, scheduling and other activities for students and Teaching Fellows.
- Supervise Teaching Fellows and other stipended positions. Participate in recruitment/selection; give ongoing feedback and coaching; participate in performance review process.
- Manage unpaid student volunteers during the school year when there is no Site Coordinator.
- Address incidents involving staff, students and volunteers according to established BTM practices; use judgment to escalate incidents to director level as needed.
- Track student progress through grades, test scores, attendance, and other relevant data while maintaining up-to-date student data.
- Manage family and student communication to foster maximum attendance and engagement.
- Create and sustain partnerships with local elementary, middle and high schools for the purpose of student recruitment and student placement.
- Manage site activities when Site Director is not available. Participate in and/or lead special projects as assigned.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned.
Dependable and regular attendance; evening and weekend work are required to fulfill the expectations of the role.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 2 years teaching experience or professional equivalent
- Demonstrated success working with adolescents, young adults and families
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Takes initiative, self-motivated, able to identify problems and develop solutions
- Self-directed, takes responsibility for own learning
- Results-oriented; holds self accountable; able to achieve outcomes in a flexible, fast-paced environment
- Meets deadlines and acts with urgency
- Ability to make informed decisions
- Accepts direction and coaching
- Embraces a growth mindset, creates a learning environment; committed to continuous improvement
- Excellent public speaking, writing, communication, and computer skills
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Ability to develop and maintain key relationships
- Able to take on special projects as required
- Effective at multi-tasking, able to oversee multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to collect, report, analyze and use data
- Supports integration of Breakthrough Miami
- Proficiency in computer/smart phone/tablet use
OTHER SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Professional certification
- Able to see the big picture while also paying attention to details
- Understanding of the Breakthrough model and Miami-Dade Public Schools
- Sets high personal standards, follows through on commitments, models fairness and transparency in interactions
- Able to operate effectively in diverse environments and interact successfully with people from widely varying backgrounds
- Coaches others
- Experience in MS Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience in Salesforce and Social Media
- Proficiency in Spanish or Creole
Breakthrough Miami operates in a rapidly changing education and community environment. This job description is a summary, not a contract. The duties and responsibilities of this role may change due to organizational needs. Dependable and regular attendance, evening and weekend work are required to fulfill the expectations of the role.
Breakthrough Miami provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Get ready to make an impact on the future.
Volunteers are vital to the success of our program. Apply to become a volunteer by clicking on your preferred site below and completing the application. Following your application submission, a member of our team will contact you with next steps. Please be advised, if you are 18 and over, you will be required to complete a background check. In addition, all volunteers must complete orientation and training before starting.
Thank you for your interest in serving with Breakthrough Miami! It takes a village!