Early Application Deadline:
January 15, 2022
Regular Application Deadline:
June 11-18, 2022
June 20-July 29, 2022
Breakthrough Scholars are a dynamic cadre of motivated students selected from across Miami who are supported through an unparalleled eight-year academic and social enrichment program. The journey includes six-week Summer Institutes (grades 5-9) and Saturday programming during the school years.
Why Become A Breakthrough Scholar?
- Get a head-start on the school year
- Join a group of kids as motivated as you are
- Come to a place where it’s cool to be smart
- Meet high school and college age role models
- Reach for your wildest dreams
- Be an inspiration to your community
APPLY TO BECOME A SCHOLAR - APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN
Click below to begin your application.
STUDENTS MUST MEET ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Academically Motivated with a mostly B’s and above
- At or above grade level in Math and Reading (FSAs or other standardized tests)
- Enrolled in 4th or 5th Grade in Public, Charter, Private, or Home School
- Can attend both school year and summer programming
- 6th, 7th, and 8th graders may apply for limited seating
STUDENTS MUST MEET TWO OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Low income or free/reduced lunch
- Live in a single parent household
- Primary language other than English
- First generation in family to attend college
- Identify as a racial or ethnic minority
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply?
The online application is located on our website, www.breakthroughmiami.org. Simply click ‘apply’ in the upper-right hand corner and select ‘to be a scholar’ in the sub-menu. The application link will be prominently displayed in the center of the page and highlighted in a blue rectangle. Complete the application in its entirety and upload all required supplemental documents. Once the application is submitted you will receive a confirmation with a copy of your completed application.
What information do I need to have ready to complete the application?
Have the following information ready when completing the application:
- Math Teacher Name
- Math Teacher Email
- Reading/ELA Teacher Name
- Reading/ELA Email
- Name of School Counselor or Registrar
What documents do I need to upload to the application?
The following supplemental documents need to be uploaded to the application:
- Completed MDCPS (Miami-Dade County Public Schools) Mutual Exchange Form
- Grades for Current School Year
- Grades for Previous School Year
- FSA Scores of Equivalent Standardized Testing
- Photograph of Applicant
Can I apply if I am a 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th grader?
Yes, in addition to 4th graders, we will accept applications from 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th graders with consideration to the number of open seats in those classes. Space is limited.
How much does the program cost?
There is no cost to attend. The program is tuition-free. Breakthrough Miami is funded by various foundations, public grants, and individual supporters.
Where is Breakthrough Miami located?
Breakthrough Miami serves roughly 1300 students at six year-round sites:
- Miami Country Day School, 601 NE 107th Street, Miami, Florida 33161
- Ransom Everglades School, 3575 Main Highway, Miami, Florida 33133
- Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart, 3747 Main Highway, Florida 33133
- Gulliver Preparatory School, 6575 N. Kendall Drive, Pinecrest, Florida 33156
- Palmer Trinity School, 8001 SW 184th Street, Miami, Florida 33157
- Breakthrough U at University of Miami, 1320 South Dixie Highway, Coral Gables, Florida 33146
Which site will I go to if I am accepted?
Site assignments are determined by the student’s current school and the zip code of the primary guardian’s address. The online application automatically assigns an applicant to a site based on the primary guardian’s address. The student may be reassigned based on their current school and its Breakthrough Miami site affiliation. The guardian can also request an alternate site based on logistical considerations and siblings that currently attend the program.
Is transportation provided?
Breakthrough Miami provides FREE Transportation. Bus routes are put together using transportation zones at local elementary, middle and high schools. Carpooling is encouraged among families to help reduce transportation costs.
Are meals provided?
Breakthrough Miami provides breakfast, lunch, and snacks to all students at no cost during summer programming. Breakfast and lunch are provided at no cost during school year programming.
What is my commitment to Breakthrough Miami?
Students are expected to maintain good attendance throughout the school year and summer program during their eight-year Scholar journey. Students generally enter the program the summer before 5th grade and commit to completing the program upon high school graduation and college entry. Scholars commit to an annual six-week summer institute and a comprehensive school-year program, taking place over 12 to14 Saturdays. Breakthrough Miami is a tuition-free, academic enrichment program, and consistent attendance across eight years, ensures 100% of our Scholars graduate high school on-time and immediately enter college.
What are the responsibilities of the Breakthrough Miami Parent/Guardian?
The primary guardian signs an attendance contract outlining the attendance and progress report policy. The contract details are attendance and reporting policy. Additionally, the parent guardian serves as a partner to program staff ensuring their child remains in good academic standing, leverages additional direct services, and attends one-on-one advising sessions annually.
What is the schedule for Summer Programming?
Our Summer Institute 2022 is scheduled June 20 – July 29, 2022.
Programming takes place Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:20 p.m.
Is it okay to miss a few days of the program for vacation?
An important part of committing to anything is showing up. Students are allowed no more than three unexcused absences during the summer. Similarly, students are allowed no more than three unexcused absences during the school year. Students benefit most when they consistently attend programming and leverage additional direct services. We have committed ourselves to providing our students quality school-year and summer programming at no cost to families. The primary guardian signs an attendance contract outlining the attendance and progress report policy.
Is Breakthrough Miami a school?
Breakthrough Miami is an academic and social enrichment program, meaning we provide supplemental programming and services in addition to what the student is receiving in school. Programming takes place six weeks in the summer and twelve to fourteen Saturdays during the school year. Direct family services are provided in support of academic success in school. Breakthrough is not a school nor is it an alternative to school.
When do I find out if I am accepted?
Selection Timeline for Summer 2022:
Early Application Deadline: January 17, 2022
Regular Application Deadline: EXTENDED
Regular Decision Admission Letters: Rolling