What you need to know
Coronavirus Email Updates!
MARCH 19, 2020 – Breakthrough Miami is continuing to monitor recommendations and updates regarding COVID-19 from Center for Disease Control (CDC), Florida Department of Health, Miami Dade County Public Schools, our host site partners, and local officials. As school and business closures affect all of us, we are committed to continuing to support our Scholars, families, volunteers and staff during this time. We acknowledge as more restrictions on social interactions are imposed, this creates challenges to our usual daily activities and livelihoods, but we must abide by them if we hope to curtail the spread of COVID-19. At this time, our team is reaching out to check-in on you, our Scholar families. Read more…
MARCH 13, 2020 – Breakthrough Miami continues to closely monitor the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). We are following guidance from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the Florida Department of Health, Miami Dade County Public Schools and our host school partners to safeguard the health and well-being of our Scholars, volunteers and staff. At this time we have suspended all programming at all sites through the end of March. Read more…
MARCH 12, 2020 – Breakthrough Miami continues to closely monitor the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). We are following guidance from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the Florida Department of Health, Miami Dade County Public Schools and our host school partners to ensure the health and well-being of our Scholars, volunteers and staff. With careful consideration, Breakthrough Miami has decided to cancel programming scheduled on the following dates: Read more…
MARCH 12, 2020 – COLLEGE TOUR PARTICIPANTS – Breakthrough Miami continues to closely monitor the Coronavirus Disease 2019. We are following guidance from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the Florida Department of Health, Miami Dade County Public Schools and our host school partners to ensure the health and well-being of our Scholars, volunteers and staff. With careful consideration Breakthrough Miami has determined it is the best to cancel the College Tour at this time. Read more…
MARCH 11, 2020 – Breakthrough Miami is carefully monitoring the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). The health and well-being our of Scholars, volunteers, staff, and host site school communities continues to be our focus. We are continuing to follow the latest guidance from the Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), the Florida Department of Health and Miami-Dade County Public Schools (MDCPS). In addition, we are abreast of the procedures each of our host schools are following on their campuses. Read more…
M-DCPS Support Lines
- District Emergency Operations hotline: 305-995-3000
- To answer questions from students, parents and other community members about school district-related coronavirus response efforts.
- Hours of Operation: M – F from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Instructional Learning Plan Hotline: 305-995-HELP (4357)
- To support students, parents and teachers in engaging in distance learning.
- Hours of Operation: M – F from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Mental Health Services Hotline: 305-995-7100
- To assist students and their families with mental health support.
- Hours of Operation: M – F from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- MDCPS Distance Learning FAQs (English, Spanish, Haitian Creole)
- MDCPS Mobile Device Distribution Centers
Beginning March 30th mobile devices will be provided at the following locations from 4:00 pm – 7:00pm
- Miami Norland Senior High School
- Hialeah Senior High School
- Miami Northwestern Senior High School
- Miami Springs Senior High School
- South Dade Senior High School
- G. Holmes Braddick Senior High School
- M-DCPS Parent Academy Videos in English, Spanish, and Creole
M-DCPS Distance Learning Requirements
- iCivics – with class code
- Register as a student: icivics.org/login; and enter your class code provided by your teacher
- Complete a game each day
- iCivics – without class code
- iCivics student activation directions for grades 3-5 – View Student Resource
- Complete a game each day
- i-Ready (Reading and Mathematics)*
- Log into i-Ready through Student Portal
- Complete 45 minutes of instruction daily in reading and also in mathematics daily
- Gizmos (Science)
- Complete one interactive simulation lesson per day
- Log into Gizmos through Student Portal
Grade 6 – 12
- Complete 60 minutes of online instruction daily on Edgenuity for reading, mathematics, social sciences, science (total of 4 hours daily)
- How to Log-in to Edgenuity for the First Time
- How to Enroll in Edgenuity Classes
- Assigned Edgenuity Classes by Grade and Subject Area
- Advanced Academics Supports and Updates
If you have questions or concerns about navigating these resources, please reach out to your site director.
- Remote Learning Schedules and Tips
- Khan Academy’s schedules are templates that you could use as is or copy and modify to better suit the needs of your children. It is a long document, but it is designed to be used by students or parents and has rigorous, engaging activities scholars can navigate at their own pace.
- Virtual Experiences
- 30 Virtual Field Trips you can do as a family, or encourage your scholar to explore independently.
- Explore the National Parks with Google 360 view
- Free Distance Learning Resources
- ED TED Browse hundreds of TED-Ed Animations and TED Talks designed to spark your child’s curiosity. You’ll also find thousands of other video-based lessons organized by age-level and subject.
- Created by experts, Khan Academy’s library of trusted, standards-aligned practice and lessons covers math K-12 through early college, grammar, science, history, AP®, SAT®, and more.
- Carnagie Mellon’s Open Learning Initiative has modules for high school students on a range of topics including the foundations of Java, Biology, Cyber Technology, and more.
- For support in writing instruction, check out Quill.org for personalized activities and progress monitoring. Their activities help students develop their sentence construction and grammar skills and are designed as supplemental writing exercises
- You can learn a language from your phone or computer with Duolingo. Learning with Duolingo is fun and addictive. Earn points for correct answers, race against the clock, and level up.
- For lessons on reading and writing music, look to this music theory learning site. The site includes lessons, exercises, and various tools for ongoing, personalized development.
- Your scholar can complete several Nearpod modules by going to Nearpod.com and entering the following class codes to engage in educational material around Coronavirus and general health safety.
- Nearpod Module Codes
- 2019-2020 Coronavirus Outbreak | Access Code: AQCLD
- Germs and Staying Healthy | Access Code: CBGJF
- Truth or Rumor? | Access Code: HXMPO
- Viruses | Access Code: PBUZM
- Comcast – Free Internet Access
- Effective Monday, March 16, Comcast is putting in place two substantial Internet Essentials Program enhancements to help low income families and individuals deal with the coronavirus crisis.
- To sign up, applicants can visit https://www.internetessentials.com/ on their iPhone, tablet or computer.
- The website also includes the option to video chat with customer service agents in American Sign Language and there are two dedicated phone numbers, 1-855-846-8376 for English and 1-855-765-6995 for Spanish.
- All AT&T consumer home internet wireline customers, as well as Fixed Wireless Internet, can use unlimited internet data.
- Continuing to offer internet access for qualifying limited income households at $10 a month through our Access from AT&T program.
Community Feedings and Food Distribution
- MDCPS will provide grab and go meals from 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm. Full list of distribution sites can be found here
- Share Your Heart, Victor of Youth – Updated regularly with locations and times throughout Miami-Dade
- Interactive Map with Up To Date Contact Information (Updated twice a day)
- Farmshare Meal Distribution Calendar
- Feeding South Florida
- All Baptist Urgent Care and Urgent Care Express locations are open. Go toBaptisthealth.net/urgentcarefor hours of operation and save your spot.
- Baptist Health Care On Demand is offering FREE telehealth visits, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Providers are ready to answer questions and follow CDC protocols to screen for COVID-19. Download Baptist Health Care On Demand at Go.BaptistHealthCareOnDemand.net and use the code CARE 19.